PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gliding Large Aircraft
View Single Post
Old 26th Feb 2009, 08:45
foresight

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jackharr

Could not agree more. In 25 years of flying twin engined jets for various UK companies, I can only remember one sim session that seriously covered this situation - coincidentally shortly after the Azores A340 incident.
Nothing was ever covered in the manuals but a few 'unofficial' bits of paper used to circulate with, sometimes conflicting, advice.
I believe the manufacturers have a part to play as well - rather than assuming that a double engine failure will always be resolved with a successful relight!
For most pilots, who are not glider pilots and whose light aircraft training might be in the distant past, finding oneself with no power will be a big psychological shock. I suspect this is where the glider pilot is at a big advantage since he is not in such unfamiliar territory. Simulator training (and not just once or twice) will help redress this balance as well as giving practical experience.
Some incidents, like the 777 at LHR and perhaps this latest one at AMS occur at low altitude, giving very little time. Others, such as the Hudson River, allow planning time and, depending on aircraft type, at least some reconfiguration. Type training should include in-depth discussion of this scenario and of the effects on speed and glide angle of gear and flaps (if available). CRM has a huge part to play in a successful outcome of course.
The engine out scenario needs revisiting regularly. It does happen and both airlines and and manufacturers need to come out of denial.