PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A319 Pilots Please read !!!
View Single Post
Old 26th Feb 2009, 07:43
Wingswinger

Location: Hampshire physically; Perthshire and Pembrokeshire mentally.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To what NSF posted may I add this, a particular bugbear of mine: Don't forget to kick off the drift. Too many pilots new to the 'bus seem to think that it's alright to land with side slip on and let the gear take the strain on touchdown. It isn't and I don't know where they get the idea that it is.

Every landing in which the pilot makes no effort to de-crab adds a little bit to the accumulated fatigue of the airframe. It probably won't affect the current operator directly but it will reduce the life of the aircraft in the long run. Professional pilots really should take pride in looking after the aircraft for which they are responsible.

Anyway, back to the topic: 319 vs 320 landing technique. There is no difference. Don't be tempted to retard the levers late or add knots to the Vapp, it only results in eating up the runway and it will lead to embarrassment at airfields with 2000m or less concrete - especially if there is a downslope in the TDZ as at Aberdeen RW34. Simply stay on speed and if anything, retard the TL slightly early. I do it at 30ft; in the 1 second between 30ft and 20ft the aircraft will not lose any speed and it prevents the slight spool-up which will occur if you flare with the TL either in the CLB detent or still in transit between the CLB detent and the actual N1/EPR. Don't be smooth with the TL either - just smack them to the idle stop. Don't drop the into-wind wing to touchdown on one gear leg; it isn't necessary and it achieves nothing other than an untidy touchdown. I suspect the idea comes from a misunderstanding of the system. Here's the FCOM on partial ground spoiler extension:

Partial extension

The ground spoilers partially extend (10°) when reverse is selected on at least one engine (other engine at idle), and one main landing gear strut is compressed. This partial extension, by decreasing the lift, eases the compression of the second main landing gear strut, and consequently leads to full ground spoiler extension.

Note that you have to have selected reverse on at least one engine for it (partial spoiler extension) to occur. Are you going to do that before you have both main legs on the ground? I think not.

And finally, if you hear the auto call-out "10" you've flared slightly too high. If you don't hear "20" one second after "30" simultaneously flare and clench your bum! Remember the picture and adjust accordingly.

HTH,

WS
TRI/TRE
Nearly 7000hrs/2700 landings on A320 variants, except 318, and both engines