PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SCMP article re: local v expat terms
View Single Post
Old 26th Feb 2009, 00:45
hongkongfooey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Someone asked why I did'nt complain about my COS because I'm B scale..................bloody simple really, they told me what I was going to be getting at the interview and I was happy with it, so now I will only complain if what they told me I was getting is taken away, is that simple enough. If you cadets or locals ( sorry I offended someone by calling them a local, touchy mob are'nt ya ) make that indigenous hong kong inhabitants, are not getting what you were originally told then whinge your hearts out, you have a case.

Funnily enough, when ( or if ) I am here for 7 years, and if I apply for perm HKID, my family, friends, grass, wide open spaces, relatively cheap housing and clean air do not automatically all move to Hong Kong....or do they. ( cool, if they do )
The fact that I will then have a few rights that I don't have now changes nothing WRT the fact I AM NOT FROM FRIGGING HONG KONG

Any indigenous hong kong inhabitants are welcome to move to, for instance, Australia ( I actually worked with one guy who did this ) and instantly get the exact same conditions as everyone else, around $40,000HKD a month with any LCC or as an S/O with QF, How much do you guys get again ?

Hong Kong is certainly not all bad, but I and most of my expat ( I am really offended by being called expat, gweilo etc, please refer to me as a indigenously challenged inhabitant ) colleagues have given up a lot to move here, and we would not be doing it for nothing, as has already been mentioned, supply and demand, is anyone silly enough to think CX/KA would pay us what they do if they did'nt have to ?? Do you really think they like us that much ??

The best argument of all, and one I did not think of is that nobody on a base gets a housing allowance, so I don't think you guys have a leg to stand on.