PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A319 Pilots Please read !!!
View Single Post
Old 26th Feb 2009, 00:07
Norman Stanley Fletcher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AIRMEX1 - I am surprised that as an Airbus instructor your company permits you to give out such non-standard advice. Your advice is directly contrary to all Airbus landing techniques I have seen, and would result in you losing your instructor status in many companies.

My own opinion is that TyroPicard is exactly right. There is also a good description in the Flight Crew Training Manual (FCTM NO-160 P2) as a starter. Finally, our company (easyJet) publishes a Type Rating guide which gives an excellent description of how to land the Airbus, which I will quote below:

A good landing generally results from a good approach and therefore a pilot must ensure that the aircraft is fully configured at the correct speed and on the final approach path by an absolute minimum of 500ft AGL. The correct landing technique is of major importance. More tail-strikes occur during the landing phase rather than in the take-off phase. The most common reasons for tail-strike during landing are:

• Speed below VAPP before the flare.
• Prolonged hold off for a smooth touchdown
• Too high flare
• Too high sink rate as a result of a destabilised approach
• Bouncing at touchdown

As the aircraft crosses the threshold at approximately 50ft, the pilot must make a conscious effort look towards the far end of the runway and avoid any temptation to fixate on the touchdown zone. This will assist in determining the flare point. At approximately 20-30ft, the pilot
should initiate the flare and simultaneously retard the thrust levers to idle. The aircraft should not be allowed to float and should be flown onto the runway. Due to engagement of landing mode in pitch, it is necessary to make a progressive pull on the sidestick to increase the pitch attitude in the flare. A retard call is made by the aircraft at 20ft as a reminder to retard the thrust levers if they have not already been retarded. After main gear touchdown, the nosewheel should be gently flown onto the runway. At main gear touchdown, the ground spoilers will deploy automatically which may give a slight pitch up. This should be overcome with a sidestick input. In order to avoid a poor landing, a pilot must not destabilise the aircraft in the last two hundred feet of final approach. Every effort should be taken to ensure that the aircraft maintains a steady descent rate towards the runway.

My own experience (more than 5000 hours on type) is that the above description is exactly correct, and if you follow that to the letter you will always have a sound landing. Hope that helps.