PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hijacked MAS flight MH 653 on 4th December 1977
Old 25th Feb 2009, 21:14
Barney Rock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Sireh, got your pm. OK, I will bite. However, please remember that what I am about to relate happened some 8 or 9 years ago when I was still in KAL. Some of the events might not have happened in chronological order.

The person in question was , for some reasons, given an abbreviated name Gsingh by the airline. I did fly with him once in an augment crew complement but did not interact much with him; neither did I have much an opinion about him. However an incident on a bus commute from the crew hotel ( KAL crew used to stay in Renaissance hotel somewhere in an affluent section of SEL and commute to/from Kimpo International airport by the KAL limousine bus service ) made me wary of this individual. He was trying to goad a fellow Asian pilot to make fun of another Asian pilot ( with whom I had known ) about that person's Catholic faith...something about holey " holes " when the Catholic guy talked about the Holy Week and other things holy. Fortunately, the other younger Asian pilot told him to knock it off and this Gsingh guy took offense and berated him. He also pilloried another of his colleague who he called ( if I remembered right ) " Alzheimer " and accused the other pilot of not differing to him in boycotting the person he called " Alzheimer ". I believe the younger chap told him off ( it was a bit difficult to make out their version of Malaysian English ). Later on, I was to learn from other Asian pilots that he called the paricular person Alzheimer because he was forgetful in not addressing him by some royal title he claimed to have inherited.

I found it disconcerting having such an individual around as a colleague and years later I found that it paid to be wary of such a moron. A fellow pilot nearly paid heavily for this individual's shifty ways. He had an engine pod strike but did not report it but took the aircraft back to base ( a 2 legs flight ); the damage was discovered later.