PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fis/basic - ATSOCAS Changes - 12th March
View Single Post
Old 25th Feb 2009, 17:31
L'aviateur

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ATSOCAS - 12 March 2009

This isn't just a renaming, there are a lot of changes to the fundamentals of the Flight Information Service. Whilst some may or may not agree with the changes (see thread on ATC forums), it will be occuring and should be fully understood before flying and using these services.
Changes in phrasology will be occuring too, which need to be learn't.

I received a CD-Rom and information pack from the CAA recently, and I believe this has been sent out to all UK pilots and some European pilots known to frequent UK airspace (not sure how they know the details, but more information on the ATC thread).

I would recommend visiting the ATSOCAS (Air Traffic Services Outside Controlled Airspace) website to understand what service you will be receiving before you fly.

Strangely though, I haven't seen any posted information about this in the flying schools and clubs i've visited in recent weeks. Most people i've spoken to are very disgruntled with it, yet haven't read or understood the information sent out. Personally I have no opinion either way, I just accept it since I have no choice.