PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Court Action at Blackpool
View Single Post
Old 26th Apr 2002, 00:59
jumpseater

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Heliport,
I was not aware that to contribute to this topic one had to express sympathy with Still Groundeds position. As I made quite clear in my first post it was factual information (based on 20 years experience in aviation), some of which is in airport operations, and about 30 per cent of that time in 'commercial departments'. The post may well have given some pruners who do not operate regularly into the bigger airfields, of why an airport company may take the route described. I had no requirement to critisise any party, merely an intention to provide information which might help the discussion and understanding of the airports position.

An airport is a business and is as accountable to its shareholders (be they the local council or BAA), as any other company is, hence when an operator goes under they have as much right as any creditor, to recover the debt. Unfortunately others may fall foul of the impact of a airline/flying school going out of business, which appears to be the position Still Grounded is in. As I also made clear that debt can lay 'dormant' and an aircraft may be held to pay debts, standard big airport practise, but I suspect many PPL's are unaware of that. I have known aircraft be impounded for not paying ATC route charges, nothing to do with the airport at all, but they still have to apply the lien, and in my recollection the current operator of the aircraft either paid or negotiated a deal to release the airframe, even though the debt was not theirs.
It is not really important how the airport accounts received was run, a debt was run up and it is the duty of the airport to recover the debt. If an airport jumps on an operator every time they are late paying a bill or has a cash flow problem, then many clubs/air taxis/ schools/ airlines would cease to exist and very few would get past those difficult first years. I have seen first hand considerable fexibility given to start ups, some worked, some didnt, such is life in any business. I also made it quite clear I had sympathy for Still Grounded. Their group has made an approach to settle the debt, and I applaud them for that, I have seen many that would not or could not be bothered in a similar position.
Finally my expectation of small-scale aviation is exactly the same as my expectation of commercial aviation, a professional approach assists in a well run and safe operation, so I'm not over worried about which seats I sit on.

Last edited by jumpseater; 26th Apr 2002 at 23:41.