PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Becoming a professional pilot, and finding a job
Old 25th Apr 2002, 23:51
Whirlybird

The Original Whirly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jof,

To get down to basics, if you want a JAR CPL(H) you will need:
1) PPL(H) - minimum of 45 hours, takes most people a bit longer.
2) Build hours to 155 hours.
3) CPL ground exams. I did the old National ones, so I'm not sure about the details of the JAR ones, but it's a lot of theoretical work, and at least some formal ground school required. A lot of the stuff you'll learn is not that relevant, and a lot of it is quite tough going and hard on the memory.
4) 30 hour (minimum) CPL(H) flying course, plus 5 hours for a night rating.
5) Skills Test.

This is the modular course; I don't know about anything else. If you do the above, which will cost you around 30,000 pounds at least, you will have a CPL(H). Great! Except no-one will employ you with a CPL and 185 hours. You then have some choices. You used to be able to apply for the North Sea oil companies, who'd probably pay for you to get an instrument rating, and then employ you. Since Sept 11th, they want you to pay for your own instrument rating - approx 23,000 I hear. Or you can somehow get to 300 hours and then do an instructors course, and hope that'll give you some work and a chance to build hours. That's what I'm doing, but there's no guarantee of work at the end of it.

There are other options, like going to the US, either to get a FAA CPL, as some people do, or doing some training/hours building here where it's cheaper (that's what I'm doing right now). But check carefully if you want to live in the UK; the CAA won't count a lot of it.

I'm in no way trying to put you off. I think heli flying is absolutely wonderful, and it's changed my life. But I had a means of earning my living anyway, and then inherited enough money to fund most of my training, and if it doesn't lead to a job, I don't mind too much. Go into this with your eyes open. I've seen too many people go to flying schools, get caught up in the heli training atmosphere of have fun today and to hell with tomorrow; they borrow tens of thousands with no thought of what happens if they don't get a job. Some of those are instructing part time and trying to pay off huge debts and somewhat disillusioned; I know some of them. It isn't worth it. Maybe better to get a decent career and fly for fun, or get some funding behind you and then do the helicopter training.

But if in spite of all I've said you decide to go for it, first do lots of research, and good luck. Flying helicopters really really is lots of fun.

Last edited by Whirlybird; 25th Apr 2002 at 23:54.