PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helios Crash
Thread: Helios Crash
View Single Post
Old 25th Feb 2009, 12:42
CR-ASC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
no answer to the core problem

A few years ago I posted on Flight International my concern regarding this case.
Absolutelly no impact with the situation
Crews are not trained to deal with hypoxia symptoms.
Unlike military crews that are trained in a hypobaric chamber to
know and understand their OWN symptoms.
Civilian crews are left with a few chapters in the Human Performance and Limitations, a lot of wording, but zero training.
Of course something like CRM spread like fire all over the world, it is cheap, anybody can became a crm facilitator and outrageous amounts of money can be charged with a minimum investment.
Or the MCC training that in my point of view is a bit a duplication of training, as any Type Rating multi crew adresses it, but of course a lot of simulators are used and students charged for it, sometimes, again huge amounts of money.
I have been a TRI and do not see the benefits of a couple of extra sim sessions versus a full MCC course.
On the contrary an hypobaric chamber involves a huge investment and a huge liability if something goes wrong during practice.
Thousands of crews are flying in pressurized airplanes without any PRACTICAL training regarding hypoxia.
Just wonder whom many lives will be lost until regulators find this type of training essential like CRM or MCC.