PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PNG Ples Bilong Tok Tok
View Single Post
Old 25th Feb 2009, 11:44
Chimbu chuckles

Grandpa Aerotart

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
aseanaero study the countryside you're flying through until you know it BETTER than the back of your hand...always have an escape route...as soon as you sit forward in your seat thinking ummmm do a 180 and retreat to better weather where you can think clearly and reassess.

The SIL base at Ukarumpa either had the worlds most terminal Ham radio nut or they wanted to be able to talk direct to the US...and as stated above the hangar/radio shack complex was surrounded by electrified man proof fences.

The SIL 'missionary' on the Karimui plataeu in the mid 80s rode a brand new quad bike, was a retired scientist from the US Mil Nuclear program, who told me he used to make bombs, and 'chose' to live at Negabo rather than Karimui...very weird.

I once acted as a go between between Karamui Spice and SIL when the former was purchasing a TU206. All money paid I went down (flown down by a New Tribes Mission pilot) to pick up said TU206 only to find out I couldn't retrieve said conveyance (I much prefered my C185) because they hadn't painted out the blue stripe. "No problems I am sure Karamui Spice will repaint it one of these days" I said. "ITS OUR BLUE!!" barked, and I do mean BARKED!, one of the SIL pilots....I went back and picked it up several days later when they had painted over the blue in a very nice green. Bizarre.

As God Botherers go I think God was bothered by that crowd more than most.

New Tribes Mission I got on well with...they maintained our C185 and did it beautifully...but SIL were scary.

Last edited by Chimbu chuckles; 25th Feb 2009 at 13:42.