PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airbus crash/training flight
View Single Post
Old 25th Feb 2009, 08:11
Clandestino

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The alpha floor test was not done in direct but in normal law - you can see it clearly in the graphs. There was check of direct law earlier in the flight, but it is clearly stated that both FACs were turned on afterwards. However, as the aeroplane slowed down, AoA values were stuck at unrealistically low values - I suppose that BEA is focusing its investigation on what caused them to stick. Seemingly the FACs faced with conflicting AoA and air data shut themselves off just as the aeroplane was about to stall, turning control law into direct, with pilots having: full control over flying surfaces, no restrictions and no protections.

After the first stall the stabilizer position is 12 degrees up while the elevator position is 12.5 degrees down. Is this normal?
In direct law the only control over "trimmable horizontal stabilizer" is via pitch trim wheel. I'm a bit puzzled by THS staying stuck after pitch law was back to alternate, but I'll wait for further reports to enlighten me.

Also, it's really hard to believe that people are flying around in airplanes designed so that the pilot(s) can't instantly get control from a bunch of computers and fly the thing out of danger.
Of course it is hard to believe an untruth. The confused computers handed over full and complete control to surprised crew at just the wrong moment and crew's failure to exercise it may be eventually attributed to insufficient time (=altitude) to recover.

Sometimes the truth hurts, I know.
Only if it should.