PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Silhouette challenge
View Single Post
Old 25th Feb 2009, 07:14
RETDPI

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interesting points raised by one11 on the Miles X series. I stand corrected in fact.
I have checked my copy of the Harleford Miles book and under the M.26 entry the aircraft was a 150 ft wingspan project powered by eight RR in- line engines , obviously 4 coupled pairs.
Revisiting Don Lambert Brown's Putnam Miles , I see I jumped the gun by punting the X-9, as this was a 116ft span ,four engined concept. What was illustrated by one11 is identifiable in this book as the X-11. This design had been rejected by the time the Harleford book went to press.
In the Putnam ,which of course was published much later (1970) and free of wartime restrictions, D L B notes "... the type number M.26 was later allocated to cover the series of X designs"
It is interesting to note that at the bottom of the original page drawing selected by one11 the aircraft is titled "MILES X" .
I do recommend those interested in the evolution of the Brabazon and Britannia to take a look at the machinations at the time regarding the Miles proposals.
Here's another oddity.....

Last edited by RETDPI; 25th Feb 2009 at 07:51.