PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How to Deal with Non-English Speaking customers
Old 25th Feb 2009, 06:31
Little_Red_Hat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I pretty much do what Domestos has described (Must be a company thing )

Another handy tactic, if the passenger has a little English or you can guess the rough region where they are from, is to say a few country names from that area... for example, I had a passenger who was Eastern European, I ran through a few names like, Poland, Russia, when I said Russia I saw his eyes light up in recognition. Luckily we had a crew member onboard who spoke a little Russian. Other times you can get somone with a similar language e.g Croatian/Bosnian/Macedonian (don't shoot me I'm not talking politics here just language) and sometimes you can wing it if you know one or the other as some words are similar...

However, I NEVER write on or touch a customs form, instead, I draw a picture of a person leaving the pane going into a building, and mime handing the card over to the Customs official... they have translators on the phone anytime if they're needed, that's what they're for so never fill it in yourself. I spotted a fellow crew member doing it once for a woman who spoke passable English, but couldn't write it. She seemed very surprised when I informed her she could be held responsible for any false information on the card. I know we as crew try to be helpful but remember it will be YOUR ass on the line if the info is bogus & you wrote it down, not the pax's ass!

Some people are very organised. Once had an old man come on board with a plastic follder, it contained all his documentation and had a letter introducing him, saying that he spoke X language, he is going from A to B and will be met by so-and-so at X time at airport B, and full contact numbers for relatives at both ends. Also detailed that he had an allergy to dairy and they had ordered him a special meal. Great preparation on the part of his family and it made it so much easier for all of us, and for him to have a comfortable, stress-free flight. Wish this was more common!!!