PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dyselxia
Thread: Dyselxia
View Single Post
Old 25th Feb 2009, 04:27
Loose rivets
Psychophysiological entity

Location: Tweet Rob_Benham Famous author. Well, slightly famous.
Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts
nannodnai Even I try to keep a reasonably serious tone on the medical forum. The occasional quip is fair play, but a tired old joke, with no useful content is tedious to people that are worried about a medical problem.

SoundBarrier

Words from a pilot, not a doctor.

I've told, many times, of my inability to spell. I can read those tests with the first and last letters being the only correct part, nearly as well as normal writing. I can read back to front and upside down quite well too. I somehow managed to get both UK and US Air transport pilot's licenses.

The thing is, it gets worse on some days more than others. Stressful days are bad spelling days.

If I eat cheese I cant visually track the lines of text on a page nearly as well as 'normal'.

I once sat in Shell Mex House (Ministry of planes in those days) and could not, for the life of me, remember how many l's there were in my first name. It's William by the way. Any word that contains double letters has to be heard in my mind phonetically...or odd's-on I'll get it wrong.

Sometimes the problem just goes.

To facilitate writing a book, I learned to touch-type. I can reach 80 wpm, and on a good day, very few corrections...however, on a bad day, the screen is covered in red squiggles. And no, I didn't spell facilitate correctly. I don't know why it doesn't have two l's.

If you had gone from being a good speller, I would say that it was reasonable to have some tests, but if you've had a history, then my guess is that it's just a slight swing of an existing problem.

Carefully monitor all other aspects of your abilities, and check to see that there's no changes in coordination for example...driving, and other high demand functions. Should you notice either a marked decline in spelling, or other symptoms, then yes, put pressure on to have the full gambit of checks.