PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Lightening Strike at PFO
View Single Post
Old 25th Feb 2009, 03:27
rubik101

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
May affect your job

To the experts like Breecher and others who think that lightning strikes don't affect your job, I will tell you they most certainly do.
After being hit by lightning on the way in to Tunis many years ago, we looked for signs of damage and saw a few small pinprick holes in the paint on the forward fuselage. We couldn't find any discharge point so we flew back to base in UK later that evening.
The engineeer was asked to look for any signs of where the discharge might have been.
Imagine my surprise when I was told the Chief Pilot wanted to see me.
On the upper surface of the port elevator, a static wick discharger was missing and the attachment torn and twisted. The skin of the elevator had a three inch slit in it at the trailing edge. This constituted 'damage' and as such I knowingly flew a damaged aircraft without getting it properly inspected.
The punishment was severe and it most certainly did affect my job!
So don't go telling people that lightning strikes are non-events, They are not, and nor did the Captain of the BA aircraft in Paphos think it was not worth mentioning.
Don't read, much less post replies to this type of thread if you know so much about it. Get your news elsewhere.
Get off your pole and shut up if you have nothing useful to say.