PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SCMP article re: local v expat terms
View Single Post
Old 25th Feb 2009, 01:48
14MonthInterview

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EXEZY,

Thanks for your insight, may I point you further up the page, as you will find this post was not started by me! Wouldn't you be aggrieved if someone told you you're not worth the same as a colleague doing the same job in the same company because of where you're from or because you did your training at a different flight school? Not only that, last time I checked, not all the expat working at CX/KA went through the self-sponsored route that you so admire. Many were ex cadets elsewhere or ex military. Does that mean because someone paid for their training they should be on local terms? I know what I signed for but doesn't mean I agree with it, especially when it stares in the face of discrimination. If you can tell me that you've had a job where you were clearly discriminated against and offered a package less that half of your peers because of the travel documents you hold, then I am all ears!

And again, I don't necessarily agree cadets should be on equal terms from the outset, but maybe after SO/JFO phase, or when they've got their ATPLs. When they have gained the necessary experience to have qualified for a direct entry job. As you put it EXEZY, "Work your way up the ranks like we did"

HongKongFooey, your point about those taking time to getting into the airlines is also applicable to those trying to become a cadet. There are plenty of people out there who have tried for years to get into the program, and even self sponsored their own training in order to achieve that goal. And its not only endemic in your choosen route that people don't make it into the airlines. Just because you work with those who did make it through and are sitting beside you in the cockpit. There are annually thousands of appilcants for just a few dozen places on the cadet program. So, to quote above "theres no such thing as a free ride"

Last edited by 14MonthInterview; 25th Feb 2009 at 02:12. Reason: Additions