PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - DONCASTER/SHEFFIELD
View Single Post
Old 24th Feb 2009, 23:49
pug

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts
I agree with your point johnnychips.

My point in the discussion is my doubt over the long-term viability of the site as a passenger carrying airport. I know it may offend some people as there could be jobs at stake but realisticaly alot of people fear the same risk at the moment.

Latest rumour is that LS have held talks with Peel over ops from DSA. While i can believe that they happened, and would not rule it out as a possibility of coming to fruition, i remain cynical of anything coming of it.

1) Its a rumour that has come from a sole poster

2) Aircraft allocation would be a problem (unless they were to cut back at other airports)

3) It has been suggested by more than one persom that PM has said that DSA is 'in the wrong place'

I dont doubt that Peel have been holding talks, particularly regarding the ILS training and diversion contract, and that they will have given them an offer as any airport operator would who is aspiring to grow. Thing is could the offer be unrealistic in the long term? I.e. effectively buying the airline in? What routes could they offer that existing carriers at DSA (like TOM) dont and that could warrant full a/c utilisation? Any 'buy in Peel deal' could not be financialy viable and i suspect it would be in order to prove that pax figures are up to retain funding for the pie in the sky link road scheme.

I would also consider the offer they made to MAG over HUY a couple of years ago. I suspect they may have burnt some bridges there but may come back around in the future....