PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "Hero" pilot's pay cut, pension stopped
View Single Post
Old 24th Feb 2009, 20:25
unb5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Snoop to pay or play??

Since I have started this career 22 yrs ago , I have always been amazed at the way we pilots organized ourselves. We have great CRM skills but lousy negotiating skills. When it comes to pulling the crew together and getting the job done we are all one for all and all for one , but when it comes down to the pocket book we are just one for oneself. I have been out of work now for the first time in all those years and its down right frustrating to hear of people paying cash for the right to fly...sorry but I have never payed for my experience except through hard work, studying and perseverance mixed in with a bit of luck....and some people just waltz in with cash and in they go to the right seat of a jet. When I had 200hrs I wasn't even allowed to get a ramp pass to see the big jet. I understand that people want,need to have a job, and the bean counters have taken full advantage of it . This used to be an industry where each company was responsible for their own training and quality but they have turned that responsibility over to others that just look at the cash some sap will pay them in order to sit in a jet. Could you imagine what a court would like if we could pay our way in as a lawyer, let alone a hospital surgery with pay as you go doctors!!! I love it when a 1500 hr pilot says " I could be Captain in another year " !!! sorry where do I get oceanic clearance again ?"