PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - swordfish
Thread: swordfish
View Single Post
Old 24th Feb 2009, 20:09
Double Zero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There's a book, History of FAA squadrons ( forget totally correct title & author ) but my father - who was FAA - borrowed it recently and thought it unusually accurate - I'll look it up again next time I'm at the museum library and pass on the details.

The book mentioned by your previous poster sounded promising, and while I don't know about their displays now as I haven't been for a year or two, Yeovilton used to make a big thing out of Taranto.

The people there are extremely helpful on the 'phone, and if the chap who answers doesn't know a reply, he'll pass you on to someone who does !

I don't really think we need reference to 'Crab's & Booties', it was an heroic effort full stop - shame the Japanese were taking note !

At a marina I used to berth my boat in, there was always a space reserved for ' The Admiral', in his Rolls Royce or similar; some fat gin swilling git, I thought.

It was only upon his passing that I found this was the chap, later Admiral Gick, who led the Swordfish attacks on the Bismark !!!

After the war he organised the building of Emsworth Marina, which is a glorious spot, given a shallow draught boat and nowadays the unlikely event of stumbling across a friendly 'management' person.

Doesn't change my view of Admirals much, but did teach me some sort of lesson - it turned out he was a person I'd have been honoured to meet...

Will look up that book and pass on details asap.

DZ

Last edited by Double Zero; 24th Feb 2009 at 20:50.