PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Clarification regarding all the licenses and the order
Old 24th Feb 2009, 19:06
murdock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unless you go military or have a **** load of money, you dont have much choice in what type of aircraft you will do your ratings in and what they will count for with regards to future job prospects. Highly unlikely to go from a R22 to S92, so I wouldnt worry about that just yet.

As far as I have heard there is about a year waiting list for the JAA CPL(H) course at Bristow Training Academy. Although, given current economic climate that could be changing with students pulling out.

The combined course will get you a FAA and JAA CPL(H). Like Whirls said, you gotta decide where in the world you are gonna be working for the license to be used.

I believe as well, that since the J1 visa for the U.S. flight schools is being withdrawn, you will only have 6 months to work in the States on your American license, if you choose to get it.

Price sounds about right that you read. None of this is cheap, and is only gonna be getting harder each day as jobs are being cut worldwide. Spend 12-18 months at school, and you come out with licenses that will not get you employed. If you did want to work back in Europe, i.e. the North Sea, which did have good job prospects in the past, then you would also need your JAA Instrument rating, which will set you back another 40,000 or so.

Ask yourself where you want to work and then go on the path from there.