PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Super Puma down central North Sea Feb 2009
Old 24th Feb 2009, 18:37
DOUBLE BOGEY

Received 18 Likes on 4 Posts
I think it means "Enhanced Ground Proximity Warning System"

It doesn't just calculate the distance from lumpy bits but speed vector, AC attitude, ROD trends in an effort to "Predict" a potential CFIT (or W).

Andy BJ - I take your point but all of us currently flying over the sea at night believe that to release not even a hint of what might have caused it, despite 2 walking talking crewmembers is unforgivable given their ongoing responsibilites to their existing customers and passengers, their own pilots and the other AOC operators providing similar services.

I have every sympathy for the crew, there by the grace of god an all that....but I think as airman we owe it too all concerned to get at least a statement out...and please do not miss the point here...

EVEN IF IT IS - "WE HAVE ABSOLUTLEY NO IDEA AT THIS TIME"

We can all speculate..I know I have and come up with an interim conclusion,. As intelligent people we owe it to ourselves to evaluate what has happened and consider carefully any immediate response that we may have...I know I have.

Worrying unduly about the state of the crew is not ever in the best interests of the passengers and sets us right back into the dark ages. We all run the risk of having an incident but surely our first and foremost concern must be the ongoing safety of the operation.

I am sorry if it upsets anyone but I think it is total bullsh**t to adopt the wall of silence we are all currently experiencing.

Shame on them and I feel sorry for their PAX who are (as are our PAX) asking the same question every single day at the heliport - WHAT CAUSED IT. The PAX are not idiots, they all say the same thing - WHAT DID THE PILOTS SAY HAPPENED??? It is a shocking indictment of management culture that we cannot answer them!!!