PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SCMP article re: local v expat terms
View Single Post
Old 24th Feb 2009, 14:23
hongkongfooey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SCMP article re: local v expat terms

Surprisingly, nothing on PPRUNE regarding the article in SCMP regarding local COS versus Expat COS in KA and CX.
Of course a completely balanced story about how CX/KA are basically discriminating against locals by paying them up to half the amount paid to expats ( of course this is only true if an expat rents an expensive apartment or buys one ).
I did not personally see the article but it apparently goes along the discrimination line ( which it reports is against CX/KA policy ), and there is a bit of a spiel from a KA rep who says they need to pay more to attract o/s pilots due to lack of local pilots etc.

So I thought I would open the batting and ask :

1) If it is discrimination paying local pilots less, then is it also discrimination not paying upwards of $700,000 HKD to train an expat " off the street " ( I believe only locals or children of permanent ID holders can apply for cadetship ? )

2) In KA, JFOs fly from the RHS of A330/320 with less than 200hrs total time, so is it not discrimination against non-locals who have to have 2500 hrs before KA will look at us ?

3) Does any sane person really think we would leave our home countries to live 8,10,12 + hours from our friends and family in some of the worst pollution in the world for no reward ?

I would agree that it is discriminatory if a local pays for his/her own training, gets the required experience for KA/CX direct entry, and then still gets paid local conditions ( which I believe is the case )

Running to bunker ................................