PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA and Project Columbus II
View Single Post
Old 24th Feb 2009, 14:08
Flap33

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have been watching this, and the previous Columbus thread, for a long time and feel that I can't not participate any longer.

For starters, I am BA flight-crew. The likes of PC767 and others leave me fearful for my own future and the future of BA. It has been said many times that the axe is coming down on ALL departments within BA, some are going to be hit harder than others. I know that having done 875 hours last year that there is little that can be gained from improving my, and my colleagues, productivity but inevitably come the final curtain I will be taking less home at the end of the month as a result of pay restructuring (they want rid of the incremental steps, allegedly). Yes we have "heavy" Captains on some flights, some trips could be reduced in length to cut allowance/hotac costs, and I'm sure there are other subtle ways of chipping away at the Flight Operations budget.

The recent snow disruption has demonstrated the problems that BA has with industrial agreements with IFCE. Now you don't have to tell me, at some point BA allowed these agreements to be implemented but I am sure that it was probably pre-privatisation. Can you honestly, hand on heart, defend some of the extortionate allowances you get. For example, Box Payments (I've been asked to chock after a certain time in NRT so as to trigger an extra BP), overtime payments or diversion payments. Come on, if you wanted 9-5 regular hours work elsewhere. As FC I understand how disruption can f**K up your home life but being "hosed down" with cash, does it help??

BASSA have a responsibility to their members, to keep you informed and act in your best interest. My question is this, what do you rather have; short-term pain or long-term survival. I use the word survival because unless we ALL take some responsibility for reducing costs BA won't be around in a year or two from now. It's as critical as that.

I'm glad that BASSA is entering talks, a bit too late I'm affraid, akin to re-organising the deck chairs on the Titanic IMHO. The announcement from BA is due Weds, 25th Feb with or without BASSA approval from what I hear. BA has an investor day in early March, you know - the guys that OWN BA shares, and thy want to present their vision for the future of this great British Brand.

Oh, and as fo the old "The Government won't let us go bust", well I bet they would.... If anyone is relying on that then we really are in trouble.

The sooner we accept that this problem belongs to ALL of us, the sooner we can start work on ensuring the company's survival.