PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Regional Pressure Setting (RPS) or Regional QNH - do we need it? Do you use it?
Old 24th Feb 2009, 14:04
Jumbo Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SpannerInTheWerks
... I might have expected this conversation on a private flying forum from an inexperienced pilot asking a genuine question due to lack of understanding, but on a forum inhabited by 'professional' pilots I find the subject surprising.
I'm not quite clear which subject it is you find surprising ... ? If it is my original question (i.e. the topic of this thread), it was after some consideration that I posed the question on this forum because I felt it was likely to prompt more erudite and informed answers (perhaps) than elsewhere.

My question was - and still is - not how we should use RPS but whether we still use and need it.

Originally Posted by SpannerInTheWerks
If you're flying from a private site, that is one without ATC, which QNH value would you use to fly cross-country?
As a regular flier from a private site, I am perfectly happy, knowing the elevation of the strip, to wind that altitude on the altimeter, thus providing my own "derived" local QNH. I don't think there is any doubt on this forum that, for any foray under CAS where the base is expressed as an altitude, an appropriate aerodrome QNH should be used.

... or perhaps I have misunderstood your post ... ?

JD