PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Missing padlocks on baggage
View Single Post
Old 24th Feb 2009, 10:23
call100

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Icare9
Virginpaul: So why are all these locks NOT still attached to their cases? It seems as if there is a physical action that breaks them off, as they can't all be in exposed places? That was the point of my original post: Why are so many padlocks "lost"?
I don't believe there is some magical cause or metal fatigue that spontaneously causes all the padlocks to pop open and fall off without any human interaction. How is it that so many padlocks are broken?
If I were aware of any good reason for a security search, then simply ask me to open the bag BEFORE it gets loaded.
What I am concerned about is that anything can be taken (or added!!) to an unlocked bag. i hand it over locked and get it back unlocked, then Customs stop me, what defence have I if there is something added?
What you also imply is that the padlocks are broken at the DEPARTURE airport, rather than by your guys unloading the bags.
Don't the security implications of something nasty being added to a bag before flight cause you (and every airline) any concern?
The locks take a lot of punishment as the bags are thrown into holds onto baggage trucks. They bang around the automated carousel systems. Yes all locks are in an exposed area of the bag.
They are picked up on loading and unloading from the ground around the aircraft. The fact is they are not up to the job.
As for something being taken or added to your bag.....watch the video in post #32
You may not agree that the locks just fall off, pop open. break etc. but you will have to accept the fact that they do.