PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - STOVL F35's for RAN???
View Single Post
Old 24th Feb 2009, 10:01
Slackjaw

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RAAF Raptor Now

Your point is what I mean, no you can't just waltz up and sink a carrier because of the destroyer screen etc, You have to tie up vast amounts of hardware just to protect the carrier.

Ask around and you'll hear about how our Collins has sunk the USA's pacific fleet carrier more than once. You may only be able to sink the carrier 5% of the time, but name a country that would carry that risk?

I remember last year F/A22 was not only a possibility it was offered to Australia. We have received much tech in advance of Japan and other nations because of how well we are trusted by the USA.

Our Collins is a case in point, we received Raytheon’s: CCS AN/BYG-1 v8 CCS (Combat Control System) from the US Navy’s SSN-744 Virginia Class submarines for our Thales sonar array.

I didn't even think about pilot retention for F/A22 but that's a fantastic observation, pilots would stay for the Raptor probably fly for free if it came to a pinch! It outclasses all others by a significant margin, that's why it is considered a fifth generation fighter where eurofighter, SU30 and MiG 29 is considered 4th gen. JSF is around 4.5, you can't argue that JSF is far better than the F22 it simply is not

Account of Red Flag exercise score 144-0 (rumoured) maybe 144-1 with unrealistic regenration parameters. I know it may be just propaganda, but there is much evidence to suggest that these kill ratios are realistic for Raptor. These figures were obtained vs F-16's and F-15's. Not F-18 superduds, real combat fighters like F-15's that have never been downed in real combat (air superiority versions), Hell 15's have landed with 1 wing shot off and scored 104-0 in real combat (half by Israel). YET they can't even scratch a Raptor in exercises.

F-22 near perfect in combat exercises - Air Force News, news from Iraq - Air Force Times

Sorry but i guess you can see I really disagree with the whole F-18 thing, not a decent stopgap vs MiG 29. A wasted opportunity when we had the coin to get better. Now we might not but F22 is still in the matrix.

Underestimating your enemy's capability is a classic mistake, i.e they have Kilos and are getting 209s but can't operate/maintain them. You could say the same about RAN or the RAAF. You could say the Collins is a dud (I don't think so, just my humble opinion) You could say we haven't got the skill base to keep our F-18 Superduds or Helos in the air, but you could also be wrong.

Oh yeah if Kilos and 209s aren't regarded as a real threat why are we acquiring more subs in response?

Subs are deadly lethal and we are very vulnerable to a blockade being an island, What deters that is our very capable fleet of sudden, hidden undetected death lurking under the surface of our sovereign coast (swelling with national pride). It's worth protecting and it's worth having sharp teeth in the sea, air and on the land. Even our current administration knows that the olive branch is held in a chain mail fist, no peace without a credible armed force.

We need a better land army (if what you guys say is true about our soldiers), we deserve and will get M1 Abrahms, there can never be enough subs and we need Raptor.

Last edited by Slackjaw; 24th Feb 2009 at 10:42.