PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CitiExpress Cuts
View Single Post
Old 25th Apr 2002, 15:06
rhythm method

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nobody seems to be mentioning the staff at Aberdeen, Belfast and Jersey who will no longer have jobs to go to.

I'd be very keen to hear the logic from our supposedly infallible bean counters who have come up with this supposed means of saving money and maximising profits.

Belfast to close... WHY? Withdrawing the ATP from BHD which operates the MAN service only to replace it with the RJ100 next year. Initially we're told that an Emb145 will nightstop!!! So now there will be 4 crew nightstopping in a local hotel, engineering spares will be needed at the base for an aircraft that hasn't been based there before. How is that saving money? What happens if a crewmember goes sick overnight? No standby cover.. no service! Then there's the SZD service on the J41. A service which was virtually always operating close to full capacity? LOGIC!!? Move the aircraft to Newcastle and increase the number of flights operated on their existing routes.

Then the next logical question is why was virtually nothing changed at GLA and EDI? In fact engineering jobs have been created at both these bases. GLA to BHD and EDI to BHD seem to regularly operate with passenger loads in single figures! Now I am not advocating that jobs should have gone at these bases, however I would like to know how these @ssholes who conducted the review can justify the three base closures announced.

Hopefully, someone from Aberdeen can back up my point by highlighting that their services were not as bad as is being implied.

A very bad decision which affects peoples LIVES!