PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Experienced pax vs very experienced CC seatbelt thread
Old 24th Feb 2009, 06:50
EYXW

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Final 3 Greens - what an interesting post - I know my comparison didn't have a great basis in science but I never knew I would find someone on PPRuNe who knew so much about it!!

Perhaps I shall take a box of Lindt in every day and ask the CC to hand it out to those complying with the FSB Sign!

In terms of educating customers of the negative impacts of non-compliance I agree to a certain point - though I worry at going as far as showing people what severe turbulence can look like - it would probably deter more people from flying at all for an event that I have only experienced once. Though I am sure there is some solution we could arrive at.

Like everything though consistency is the order of the day, like you, I despair when the light is on and I can quite clearly see pax in the aisles on the door camera with no reaction from the CC - this is a very rare occurrence though, but, what might be a rare for us could be 100% of the flights a particular passenger completes with us that year.

Perhaps the answer is to have one of those annoying beeps that goes off when someone has not strapped in, like the one in my car - it drives me to instant compliance or it would drive me mad!

As with a lot of the safety procedures and training undertaken, the FSB Sign is there to keep passengers safely in their seats just in case something that they are likely never to encounter occurs. That one sudden loss of altitude they may never see is what we are hoping to protect them from but, the fact that most will never see it, but will have definitely seen us illuminate that little light, helps to devalue the worth of that safety procedure.

Thanks for the education!

(PS I thought I should point out that I don't view passengers as akin to something less intelligent than a rat - in the few years I have been around I can only think of a handful that were unpleasant RE seat belts - the rest are welcome to dinner at FL370 anytime).

Last edited by EYXW; 24th Feb 2009 at 06:54. Reason: not wishing to scare people that something called sever turbulence might exist.