PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TAA and the DC-9
View Single Post
Old 24th Feb 2009, 04:26
emudodo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How do you make it go up

Had a similar experience between Rocky & Mackay during the introduction of the 733 into TAA/Australian.

TJ* (can't recall callsign) enroute to CNS was at 290, we were at 310, he requested 330 and after ATC checked DME's from ROK was assigned 330. Quite some time passed and ATC asked had he left 290. "Negative" was the response, followed shortly thereafter by a request to see us on our company frequency (obviously didn't want their own to hear what he was about to ask !!). Upon switching over he asked "How do you make this thing go up". On suggesting LVL CHG be selected his response was "yep, there she goes, thanks I owe you a beer" and shortly thereafter they reported "left FL290".

On a similar note we were flight planning in MEL one morning and the TAA crew were whinging and bitching that they couldn't " go down and slow down in this little bast**d". I enquired as to what their problem was and was regailed with the old "In the diesel (DC9)I could pass over SYD NDB (GFD these days) at @ 300 kts and land straight in on Rwy 07, but I can't with this machine". "Of course you can", I retorted and left it at that.

We got away first on the East Coast Air Race and SYD Rwy 07 was duty runway, I was just turning off the runway when we heard him going around.

Both crews overnighted in CNS that night and he finally caught up with me and was somewhat miffed that he hadn't been able to achieve the 3000' x 300 kts @ 10 nm and land straight in. I then advised that it could be done but only if you were at 1000'.

But then in those days it was "fun" flying and there was good natured rivalry and both companies crews got on very well together, not quite the same today !!!

Last edited by emudodo; 24th Feb 2009 at 05:15. Reason: typo