PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The use of A-levels?
View Single Post
Old 23rd Feb 2009, 22:00
1mag1n3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey dude.

I am currently doing physics at A2 level as well as Maths, Further Maths, and Geography. I believe that they will all come in handy in the future. I was looking at the ATPL syllabi and saw that quite a substantial amount of A Level Physics, Maths and Geography come up. Weather from Geography. Mechanics from Maths and Physics. They do seem to overlap- even if it is very minor. It also shows the people at the FTO's that you took subjects with becoming a pilot in mind, which I deem to be essential. Whether it is true or not is another matter, however it does show that you have had the passion for longer than a few months,i.e massive enthusiasm etc.

I mean, I know guys who have A Levels and have gotten sponsorships with ACD, one guy with two C's. Hopefully if all goes well for me I should get AAA in (Further) Maths and Geography and then a B or a C in Physics depending on re-sits.

The Physics A Level does contain some random stuff mind, with only one module of the 6 on Mechanics which relates to flying. The rest is on particles, nuclear instability, quantum theory and all that jazz. I decided to self teach Mechanics 2 to myself in Maths as well as doing Mechanics 1 in lessons, and have yet to sit these both. Hopefully having drove myself to self teach the extra module will show a passion to extend knowledge blah blah...

One thing I do think is good about A-Levels is the fact it bridges the gap between School and coming to apply to FTO's at the grand old age of 18, if this is what you want.

Imagine in an interview;
"So, since school what have you done with your time up until today?"

"Well sir......"

I mean if you were working and getting a PPL fair enough; but if you say you balanced A Levels and a PPL as well as a job and sporting commitments and social aspects then it does sound pretty impressive!

Just my thoughts anyway...
Take what you will from it