PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Clarification regarding all the licenses and the order
Old 23rd Feb 2009, 21:16
Nithro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clarification regarding all the licenses and the order

Hello,

I hope this hasn't been asked before, I tried to search, but had no actual tags..

I intend to become a helicopter pilot and a mate of mine (that's already a pilot) sent me here. I read the stickied thread about frequently asked questions, and got some info from it, but not everything.

As I got it, I need CPL(H) in order to make a living by flying. I also got the impression that I need instrumental rating in order to get jobs. Perhaps instructor license as well?

Am I right so far?

Anyway, do you have to get the PPL(H) in order to qualify for the CPL(H)? Can I go straight for CPL(H) from zero experience? Should I get instrumental rating and instructor previligies right on? Is it impossible to find a job without it?
I really don't want to end up with 300,000 $ in debts without a job.

Ratings. Could someone explain this to me? What is a rating? How does it differ from a license? The picture I have of a "rating" is that it's something additional, but not big enough to call itself a license. I sort of see ratings as stuff like PADIs smaller courses such as dry suit diving, cold water diving, cave diving and so on. Open water and advanced open water are equivalent to licenses. Anyway, that probably only makes sense to divers.

FAA/JAA/CAA

What is this? Is FAA something british (a British education modell perhaps?), and CAA American?
I read JAA somewhere, but couldn't find the meaning of it.

EDIT: I just found something on google. FAA (in this case), is it short for Federal Aviation Administration? If so, the other AA's (CAA & JAA), what aviation administrations are they?

Pros and cons between FAA/JAA/CAA?

With these things clearified my searching will be a lot easier, cause then I know what I'm looking for.

Additional hints and pointers are greatly apprieciated.

Best regards,
Måns

Last edited by Nithro; 23rd Feb 2009 at 21:28.