PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK - Forthcoming ATSOCAS changes
View Single Post
Old 23rd Feb 2009, 18:56
pumuckl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exactly! I imagine a lot of pilots will be cottoning on to that and asking for a TS very quickly. This however means a lot more work for the ATCO, so you might find that in a lot of cases, especially on a busy sunny Saturday afternoon, this service will have to be limited or may not be able to be provided at all!

I find that even now with mostly FIS traffic, throw in less than a handful of RIS traffic and it can become very very busy for the ATCO indeed. We won't even go into RAS! Imagine EVERYONE asking for a RIS/TS... I dare say it will be impossible to provide.

At the moment, if the workload permits, we will provide as much information as we can even on a FIS, but this will have to stop on a BS. I understand this is to stop pilots 'expecting' a certain level of service when the BS doesn't call for it just in case next time we might be too busy giving the same level of information, something happens and we get blamed for not providing what they expected!

I have a PPL myself and I know that I can't expect anything on a FIS really, so any traffic information I do get I appreciate. It has never stopped me looking out the window of course, but on a BS, there will not be any more traffic information (apart from the generic info such as gliding site active etc) unless absolutely necessary ie. I'm just about to collide with someone, but even then if the controller might be busy with something else... personally I would rather the ATCO told me about the traffic even if 5 miles away and 1000 feet separated but heading my way so I could keep an extra good look out in that direction than for me to find that I never knew about that traffic and it has changed level and is now on a collision course and the controller was busy with something else and didn't notice...

As I said, we'll have to see how it goes.

p.