PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin Blue to shed 400 jobs ....
View Single Post
Old 23rd Feb 2009, 18:55
Arctaurus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BG on Lateline Business last night:

On further headline losses:

"Oh, look, we've said that - we've said that the guidance we've given right back in August of last year, reaffirmed in November and still in play today, is that it will be a challenge to make a profit this year for us, primarily because of the $65 to 70 million attributable to V, which was always planned, even at inception, to lose money for some 18 months. It's a heavy investment. It's an investment that we believe will still pay off for us. But it may not pay off in the next 12 months. It may be 18 months down the track before we start to see that really work. I think it'd be nice if you're trying to get me to say let's turn back the clock, absolutely. But we'd do a lot of things differently if we had that advantage of hindsight."

.....And on further capital raising

"Oh, look, there's a shareholder out there who holds over 25 per cent of the shares. He's made it very clear that he's not interested and doesn't believe that we need to look at a capital raising. I think I share that view. I certainly share it today. There are other avenues that are in train to ensure that we build on that cash position which, you know, is still fairly healthy. So, from our point of view, a capital raising is not on the backburner as we speak today. But, you know, to your point, I can assure you that if we see substantial and continued market redeterioration, every airline, every airline in this country will be looking to do the same thing again."