PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - No Peanut Zone? What's Next?
View Single Post
Old 23rd Feb 2009, 15:09
Ten West

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was listening to a radio science show yesterday evening where they've now shown that peanut allergy can be cured by gradual exposure.

What they do is start with a tiny dose of the particular protein that causes this problem, then gradually increase the dose every day. After (I think) 6 weeks or so there was no obvious reaction to casual exposure.
They then advised the patient to eat 6 -15 peanuts each day to maintain resistance.

This is of course only applicable to those with genuine peanut allergies who want to help themselves to be rid of it. Those who choose to wear their fashionable allergies as a badge or use it as a licence to browbeat or inconvenience others in the name of political correctness are unlikely to take it up.

And before any bleeding-hearts accuse me of "Not understanding" I'll state here that my girlfriend of many years was diagnosed with a Coeliac (sp?) condition which meant that she suffered all kinds of problems if she ate anything containing even a tiny amount of gluten or wheat products. Did it stop us enjoying a normal lifestyle? No. You just have to use a bit of common sense, that's all.