PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lycoming questions
View Single Post
Old 23rd Feb 2009, 12:14
baron_beeza

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It wasn't a bad effort for all that. Would get a pass in an exam but had very little technical jargon... at least the correct aviation stuff. Obviously car or motorbike inspired.

It is the other 20% that is the problem of course. This is bit like reading a newspaper article that you know something about. Don't you just cringe when the reporter thinks all light aircraft are Cessna's. And every crash is some how related to every other crash, - even if only happened in the same period.

If you want to know about an aircraft engine, either read the appropriate technical publications or ask the guys that actually know the answers.

Just remember that a vast percentage of pilots see the engine through the oil filler flap of a 152 or 172. That is about the extent of their knowledge. Period.

If an instructor has no idea, then what chance has the student got. Just look at some of the inane comments been bandied about here.
Does an NDB provide glide slope information ? After-all it is a nav aid.
You would be laughed out of the bar..

I had one instructor in the States try to taxi the aircraft out with me, and it had a stuck exhaust valve. Probably would have passed his run-up also if I had allowed him to get that far.

If you want the correct answer then go to the guys that know.

I am sure Jman will get the answers soon, if he doesn't get terribly confused here first.
Perhaps he may be prepared to share his new found knowledge !!