PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair recruitment-facts
View Single Post
Old 23rd Feb 2009, 11:45
clanger32

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok, I apologise in advance for the facetiousness of this post, but sometimes you have to wonder. Flintstone, you’re right of course – all new fATPL holders could stop this rot by simply refusing to do it. But of course they’re not the only ones who could stop it. So I’ll list a few options. You tell me when it gets simply ridiculous, if it’s ok to require all new cadets to reject what is realistically the only route left in then all of these should be just as fine..…
  • The Queen could hear of the plight of new pilots and decide that it’s ridiculous and, using her absolute powers decree it stops.
  • The government could see what’s going on and pass law to stop it on the basis of O'Leary isn't a very nice man and besides why the hell should pilots with 20 years experience have to defend their own terms....someone else should stop their conditions being ruined...
  • The CAA could say “oooh, that’s a bit rum AND it degrades pilots Ts&Cs. Let’s change FCL to outlaw self sponsored TRs”
  • The individual airline board of directors could veto it, as it shows total lack of respect for their existing and [potential] future employees and really they'd like to be seen as good companies to work for
  • The TRIs, TREs, LTCs etc could refuse to train anyone who Self sponsored a type rating, or in particular line training, as it’s degrading to the whole pilot community and damaging to their own Ts &Cs in the long run
  • All existing airline staff could refuse to accept any such scheme within their company and take a variety of (forcible) measures to make their views known, putting pressure on management to rethink
  • The cadets could refuse to take jobs that require SSTR. Of course, there are so many cadets out there, with such large sums invested that HAVE to make something happen or go bankrupt, that if they don’t take a self sponsored opportunity, someone else will, sooooo:
  • The FTOs could decide that they are putting out too many students, so they could choke back course numbers to reduce supply in the market
  • The funding houses [banks, for clarity] could absolutely refuse to lend for any kind of flying training. Therefore the FTO industry becomes cash only and everyone would have to save first to get their ratings. How many would then actually part with £50k of cash from their own bank - it's a hell of a sight harder to spend your own money, than someone elses..!?
  • Of course, potential cadets - who are yet to start training - could see the damage that's been done by too much supply, not enough demand, so not even start to train because "there’s-too-many-out-there-already-and-I''d-only-be-adding-to-the-problem".
  • Parents could see there are too many potential cadets and dissuade or otherwise force the issue such that their kids went a different route….but of course you can’t GUARANTEE a kid will do what you want, soooo:
  • People could stop having kids altogether, cos if they don’t have kids, they can’t want to be pilots and therefore can’t add to the huge pool of available cadets, therefore airlines would have to offer incentives again….
Yes! I see it now, ALL of these are eminently plausible...So we get the queen onside and start a mass contraception campaign! Within 18 years the industry will be safe again, for all those already in it! And they won't have to lift a finger.... easy now you come to mention it...

Of course, most of these are ridiculous. As is the notion that a 19 year old kid with £50k of debt should just go to the wall to protect some 50 year old Captains final salary pension. Of course, you are 100% right that in time, that 19 year old kid will be the 50 year old captain and what's left of the terms and conditions at that time, who knows...but a 19 year old, with only A levels and a shiny fresh fATPL.... they have NOTHING else TO sell. I'm lucky. I've gone straight back to my old - and very well paid job. But lets cut the bull****. There aren't any [or rather there are very few] FI, air taxi type jobs out there even if there was the inclination to go that route. For a 19 year old, these positions are the only route. And you're absolutely kidding yourself if you think that you'd do anything else in their shoes.

No-one, NO-ONE WANTS to pay their own TR, but that's what the industry has become. You moan of people wanting "someone else to do something", yet the irony is that this is EXACTLY what you want....someone else to do something to protect your Ts & Cs.....food for thought...

Last edited by clanger32; 23rd Feb 2009 at 14:12.