PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Experienced pax vs very experienced CC seatbelt thread
Old 23rd Feb 2009, 07:49
EYXW

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A startlingly long thread about seat belts yet again!

Who would have thought something so simple really could be such a bone of contention - I believe they have trained rats to react to certain lights being illuminated in their cages yet after more than 100 years of aviation it seems that SOME people will always know better.

The story linked to at the beginning of this seemingly endless thread quite clearly demonstrates the result of assuming the belt sign is merely for decoration.

To assume that the light has been left on accidently is, as the well worn term points out, only going to make an ass of you and me or, quite possibly, an ass with a broken pelvis.

If the lights have been left on for what seems like an age do what the majority of sensible passengers I have met over the years do - ask the CC if there is a delay for a reason - many times I have been able to return to give an estimate of time or just that the Pilot's have forgotten once clear of forecast turbulence.

In my career I have seen the lights turned on once to restore order in the aisles - this was because a teacher (on a Naples flight if that helps some CC visualise the exact situation) decided to conduct a meeting at row 25 of our 73. The Captain was curious as to why the trim wheels had just had a fit and passengers were curious as to where the crew were (imprisoned in the rear galley) when no ammount of, quite frankly, shouting got them to sit down a simple *ding* seemed to do the trick.

I feel ashamed at having added so much more twaddle to this twaddle filled thread but I just had to vent - sorry.

I loved being Cabin Crew but feel ever so grateful for now having a sealed door between me and this never ending seat belt battle - (don't worry I only put the light on when I think there is a good chance that first class might spill red wine on the new upholstery.)