PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Career Change
Thread: Career Change
View Single Post
Old 23rd Feb 2009, 07:29
Mikehotel152

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mr Rodger, I think Hezza's advice is very sound.

On the issue of costs generally and the sting in the tail that is forking out for a Type-Rating, you have to look very closely at how you will pay for each part of the training. Spending an accumulative total of £40-50k on modular training, together with living costs, and then finding you need to obtain another £25k for a TR might be the straw the breaks your flying camel's back. Not many people can walk into their bank and get that kind of money by way of a personal loan!

The only other options you'll have at the end of your training are to find £6k for an FI Rating in order to build hours or simply sit and wait for the upturn when even 250 hr pilots will get snapped up. But that long wait can destroy your enthusiasm for flying. Oh, sorry, there is another option: the National Lottery!

So, my suggestion is you listen to Hezza and do a great deal of research into FTOs and course fees, add 20% because it'll cost that much more due to unforeseen extras and inflation, and then do yourself a very detailed financial plan to plot your arrival as a new fATPL holder.

Seriously mate, you are still young - I was 8 years older when I made a career change - and if it takes you 4 years to get your licence you will still be a young man and may just arrive on the job market as it's booming again.

Good luck.

MH152