PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Super Puma down central North Sea Feb 2009
Old 22nd Feb 2009, 17:50
T4 Risen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I also agree with HB about the added problems of flying ARA's at night in poor vis. The only part i do not agree with is the commercial pressure. I have never felt any commercial pressure to operate a flight. If i do not want to go then I dont go...that is my decision as a captain, and that is the decision they pay me to make. Yes i will explore ever avenue before deciding to delay/cancel a flight but will not be pushed to make a decision based on a commercial issue.

and with regard to the safety of the super puma.......yes it has had its fair share of incidents/accidents over the years and teething troubles at the begining are the same for every new aircraft entering a role. Look at the number of flights/hours flown since they first came into service on the north sea compared to the number of accidents incidents and i think you will find it a very safe machine..........if it wasnt i would not be too keen on strapping one to my butt each day and flogging around the north sea in all types of weather day or night!!!