PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 22nd Feb 2009, 15:41
cliffnemo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Harrogate Again!!!***!!!!

About three months after arriving at Carlisle and after the court martial, I was posted back to Harrogate, and as I had my motorbike at Carlisle I made arrangements with another cadet to take my kitbag back on the train. As my flying clothing was expensive, for security and warmth I decided to wear it. So clothed in flying helmet, goggles , silk inner suit , Sidcot suit , silk inner gloves , leather gauntlet gloves, suede flying boots I returned to Harrogate. Travelling down the A6 in convoy with hundreds of American, Tanks, Jeeps etc, I felt like staying with them all the way to Southampton, and France.

I can’t remember much about this period at Harrogate, but note I had three lessons on the Link trainer, and remember that I could travel home each weekend. Pressure was still put on me to transfer to the fleet air arm, despite my protests that I would not be able to operate efficiently when seasick under rough conditions. Strangely enough I was never air sick, even during two hours solid aerobatics.. After about a month or so I was then posted to Whitley bay, which I think was a months ‘unarmed combat’ course, where we learned a form of karate, and how to kill using knives, guns, with the usual P.T and swimming. The only highlight of my stay at Whitley Bay that I remember, is that one pub I visited, when I gave the landlord a shilling for a pint, he always gave me change for two shillings and wouldn’t change his mind. It was then back to Harrogate.

Wonder if you are as bored as I was.