PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Career Change
Thread: Career Change
View Single Post
Old 22nd Feb 2009, 14:54
Hezza

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Mr.Rodge,

I don't post a lot, but i had to with this one as I was reading your post and wondering if we were long lost brothers or something! My story so far:

I have been working as a Building Surveyor for 4 1/2 years, i am 22 years old and studying toward a Bsc in Building Surveying (2 1/2 years left). I got onto the course, after passing a Diploma in the subject, following my appalling A-Level results (C,D with an E at AS) - sound familiar yet?

Anyway, i too decided about 8 months ago that i would aim for a career as a pilot, and originally looked into the CTC scheme - but decided against it. The airline industry is at least doing as badly, if not worse than the construction industry so please don't use that as a reason to swap careers!!!

In order to complete my training, and obtain an ATPL i have budgeted myself tightly, and set a realistic timescale of completion by summer 2012. This is following a modular route of training, rather than an expensive intergrated scheme (you will find lots more about the two forms of training using the search function). I understand the reason behind an intergrated route, but I personally am simply not prepared to take the risks involved (leaving work, paying out £70k~) without any form of security at the end of it all!

I wouldn't bother going back to A-Levels, and also wouldn't bother looking at a Aviation related degree - especially as you have already started your current one. An aviation related degree may give a small advantage to candidates, but its pretty specific to this one industry - and i would certainly say its good to have your eggs in more than one basket!

At the moment i am working Monday - Friday, studying for my Bsc in the evenings & weekends, and flying at weekends too (and ocassionally seeing my girlfriend)! It certainly keeps you busy, but it is possible with careful time planning. The plan for me is to have most of the hours required by the time i have finished my degree, and then study for the ATPL exams either full time, or part time - depending on the state of the economy. After that I have the remaining hours to build, ME/CPL/IR ratings. This way i have my degree in construction as a back-up, along with my job if i want it, and (hopefully) very little/no debt to boot.

So my recommendation to you -
  • Keep doing what you doing (degree included) and try to enjoy it, we all have bad days.
  • Do some additional research into types of training, flying schools in the area
  • Be prepared to have no social life for the next few years
  • Plan yourself very carefully, and work hard at it!
  • Save as much money as you can
You can PM me if you want to know anything else...

Enjoy

P.S - i have just got back from a little flying expedition up to Nottingham, and am about to sit down to the latest report i have to write for my Bsc