PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Career Change
Thread: Career Change
View Single Post
Old 22nd Feb 2009, 13:30
mr_rodge

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Career Change

Hi there,
I was having a browse around and thought I'd post a query regarding schemes such as CTC Wings Cadets or the CityJet Wings programmes. Firstly, what is the difference between these two programmes?
Next - What are my chances i.e. options for getting into the industry? I'd like to be a commercial airline pilot as I have wanted to for a number of years and to put it simply, I ended up in the wrong career. I am a quantity surveyor of 3 and a half years (I'm 21 years old), currently studying towards a Bsc in the subject and have passed my HNC in Building Studies. At sixth form I only gained two A-Levels, a C in General Studies and a D in Computing. I have an AS at grade E in mathematics. Granted, this sounds like a healthy career with great prospects, a fully expensed company car and a half decent wage, however I've never been all that happy in the job. There's been many a time where I've sat and stared out of the window wondering if I'd be wasting my time going for the full-blown career change. I'd like to know if I've got any chance whatsoever of getting on a training scheme, and if not, what would I have to do to gain as much of a chance as everyone else applying? Would it be worth leaving my job at this point in time (As the construction industry isn't exactly flourishing at the moment) and taking up full-time study including my A-levels and upwards to a degree in Aviation? Or would it be worth sticking with my Bsc in Quantity Surveying (I have 4 years left, I'm on the first year but it is a requirement for my job so there's no scope for changing my course whilst still working) and possibly taking up a part-time A-Level maths again to boost my qualifications before applying? I don't care much for Quantity Surveying as I believe it is a posh term for con-man and I'm fed up of the dishonesty and mind-numbingly boring work. And if anyone is currently studying A-Levels, MAKE A GOOD JOB OF THEM!! DON'T END UP IN MY POSITION!!

Oh, and on a further note, is the RAF a viable option?

Thanks for your time.