PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Perth/Scone Instrument Approach Procedure
Old 22nd Feb 2009, 13:14
Hawkerhunt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
confirming dont overfil's post, in the days when Perth had a commercial training school, with ATC,ILS,NDB, the training procedure flown today is actually the old published NDB approach, flown on the VOR instead.

In IMC, you can of course let down 'randomly', use your own plan, or use, for instance, Dundee's published approach on an ILS which is outside of CAS, using an ATC without radar.

Re. permission to use Navaids, I rmember approaching Perth many years ago before GPS, in poor viz, but VFR, just haze really, in the days of full ATC. On final approach, ATC called to say they couldn't see me, I replied I was overhead the outer marker, which just happened to be bleeping away in my headset. On landing I was called to the tower to be told, very agressively, that I was on a VFR approach, and had not been authorised to make use of any approach navaids, and they were considering reporting it to the CAA. I told them I would enjoy arguing my case. Jobsworth vs common sense is a major problem in aviation.