PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Unimpressed by pilots
View Single Post
Old 22nd Feb 2009, 12:24
BEEDEE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Image!!!

Well said, porra. The arrogance that shines out from some of these posts, is SCARY. What about brain/heart/neuro-surgeons, nuclear and other scientists, astronomers and many, many other HIGHLY educated professions. These people are in it because they LOVE their work and want to make a contribution to society. Unlike what some arrogant pilots are almost suggesting, these people don't walk around with a large sign around their neck which reads: "HEY EVERYBODY. I'M A SURGEON/SCIENTIST/ASTRONOMER. THEREFORE YOU OWE ME BIG TIME. IF NOTHING ELSE, YOU OWE ME RESPECT." In the same vein, as an elderly American astronaut and moonwalker was saying in a TV interview recently: He also discovered that he couldn't walk around for the rest of his life displaying a sign reading: "I WALKED ON THE MOON. YOU OWE ME!!!" He had to literally come back down to earth and get on with his life to the best of his ability. Pilots should be pilots because they love the job and want to be the best they can at the job and because they want to contribute in some small way to society - and certainly not because it makes non-pilots look up to them in awe. What a DANGEROUS attitude. If you became a pilot because you thought it would entitle you automatically to respect, you'd be better off for the whole profession by getting out fast. There are MUCH better reasons for becoming a pilot. Hopefully the more arrogant posters on this thread will soon discover these reasons.

BEEDEE.