PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Unknown PNG Airstrips?
View Single Post
Old 25th Apr 2002, 08:25
OzExpat

PPRuNeaholic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tinpis... bloodey hell mate, it ain't looked THAT sleazy for the last couple of years. Ya might actually enjoy it these days! There's a relatively secure members entrance and then there's the "other" entrance. Inside, the bar is segregated off between the members and the "others" and neither side looks the way yer photo shows it any more. Still, yes, there was a time when it looked exactly like that ... around about the time I tossed in me membership...

lurch... got the photos mate - all 26 of them! Haven't had a chance to look at them yet but hope to have them uploaded tonight. I'll send ya the URL for a final check before I publish it here. If I find a few that will keep the "Goat Track" comp going, I'll post those, individually, while awaiting your approval of the gallery! If ya've got more, send them along! The more the ... errm ... more...

Meantime, here's one that Chuck got off the NASA website. The original, as you might guess after seeing this one, was taken from space. A framed copy of this photo graces a wall at Wallindi, if anyone is interested.

So, here then is a view of Rabaul from space. This was taken around the midpoint of the eruption of the twin volcanoes at Rabaul in 1994. Eeeeeeew, all that pollution!

The large area of what looks like ice, stretching from the lower left corner is, in fact, part of New Ireland. The photo was taken from the east side of New Ireland, in the approximate vicinity of Namatanai, I reckon, looking west. You can just see the southern coastline of the Gazelle Peninsula, almost, but not quite the whole way to Wide Bay.

Spectacular huh? And, get this, poor ol' Chuck was under most of that! at the time!