PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - V Australia gets an AOC
View Single Post
Old 22nd Feb 2009, 07:37
Going Boeing

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
ACMS - My experience with the Q entertainment system is that the screens are way too dark to see. ( and yes the brightness was up full !! )
My understanding is that the screens were designed to have a narrow field of view in order to give a little privacy from neighbourimg pax who may not approve of what you are watching. I found that the tilt is critical in that it should face your chest & you are looking slightly down at the screen to get the best brightness & clarity.

Having observed the early problems that SQ & CX had with their IFE systems, QF installed the Rockwell Collins system having been assured that it was much more reliable technology than the competing systems. History shows that it is not as reliable as promised and may be less reliable than the competitors. The huge cost of these systems make it impractical to rip the RC system out and replace it with another system so we're stuck with it on the B744 and A330 until they are retired from the fleet (although I wouldn't be surprised if the B744ERs are retrofitted).

The new generation Panasonic system fitted to the A380s (& I suspect to the V Oz fleet) is a much better system which has been tested with over 600 screens running with no slowing down of data flow. Also no circuit boards are hardwired to individual screens so if a circuit board fails, the system may operate marginally slower, but all screens will still receive the data stream.

On this thread, if you want to do a true comparison between V Oz & QF then the comparison should be done between the product on V OZ B773s and QF A380s.