PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NATS interview process
View Single Post
Old 21st Feb 2009, 23:10
sirinx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One more post from a failed-personality-test-applicant (Half a year to go before the second attempt.)

Having some experience in the ATC environment, I definitely agree that you have to have something special to be a good ATCO and people either have it or they don't. Over time I have also realized it is not IQ or simply "being quick", i.e. something you can measure relatively easily.

Maybe I am wrong, but I have this theory of why they did not like my answers Of course sometimes everyone feels forced to say something he doesn't really mean but there was this question asked a couple of times... along the lines of "Do you trust your colleagues?"
Now this will certainly sound cocky... but generally I don't. And it's not that I don't like these people nor that I don't get along with them -- I do, they are my friends and I love to spend time with them. I just don't believe that the work they did was correct as if I had done it myself. I don't shout, I'm not angry, I just go through it once again to check it. That's just experience, works for 90%+ of people.

Of course I know ATCOs need to trust their colleagues in neighbouring units. However, the test tells you to base your answers on your work environment. Now what, tell them what they want to hear? I might end up trying that next time ...