PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Super Puma down central North Sea Feb 2009
Old 21st Feb 2009, 22:11
normally watching

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't normally post on these types of forums however often an avid reader. So please forgive me to intrude onto this thread with my first post.

In my work I have a fair experience of working along side Bond Offshore and other oil industry helicopter operators, I have had the pleasure of meeting the Captain in question on a number of occasions and found him to be a very polite and courteous guy who I feel is thoroughly professional.

I find it abhorrent that he and his families personal matters have been dished out by the gutterpress, that is a private matter that should remain that way unless the AAIB feel it does somehow be a factor, even then the details need not be wholly public.

I do think that the lack of some form of statement from either the AAIB or Bond is not doing anyone any favours at this time. I realise that it can be best to wait until all areas have been investigated and then release the findings but this incident is attracting a lot of attention.
Articles like the one above about the WX fax does not help the industry, the Pax and relatives of those Pax when they travel using these machines.
I know, like many, that an actual WX report at 1200 does not mean that it will be the same at 1230 or 1300. Not everyone who is reading these "news" stories will comprehend that and the inaccuracy of the article: "conditions were CLEAR" a forecast using the past tense and the statement to the effect that forecasts are produced by rigs and not ACTUAL reports as is the case.

The end of the article is an inference that Pilots & Crews are under pressure to complete their task despite the WX or other factors that may affect safety. I do know from personal experience Bond and their Pilots do not operate like that nor do Bristow & CHC for that matter (and I'm sure other operators). To the outside world these kind of articles read like the industry is operating with a do it or be damned attitude and screw safety.

The silence speaks volumes, unfortunately the speaking is being done by the ill educated gossip monger's flogging bog paper to be.

Surely after this amount of time there must be a focus for the investigation, even if it's not a single factor. Or if there isn't a focus there can surely be some form of statement "The cause is unclear, All avenues are being investigated we hope to issue a further statement in x days".
Even now on Bonds glossy, image concious, website under their News section there is nothing. Not even a piece to say that there has been an incident but all persons are safe and well and it is being investigated etc. etc.

It really doesn't make the situation look professional. There can surely be some unspinned, unbull****ted, short, simplistic statement to be put out by now.

My drivel is over. Whatever **** happened out there, well done to all involved to bring this to a happy conclusion.......well, maybe not the hull underwriters happy conclusion