View Single Post
Old 25th Apr 2002, 03:57
Continuous Ignition
Have toolbox, will travel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Manado

Wings,

Thanks again for the reply.

That does sound about right. I had the numbers reversed in my earlier post it seems.

We were holding over the VOR so it had to have been 12 NM and 10,000 feet. We were just getting ready to enter the circuit again when we were cleared for the approach to 36.

And they weren't kidding about the MSA being 10,000 ft. That volcano on the right side as you are on the approach to 36 can be pretty well hidden by the clouds and it was every bit of 8000 ft if I remeber correctly.

I vividly remeber the GPWS screaming at us all the way down.. We landed over half way down the runway. I didn't think we were gonna get it stopped in time.

When we landed, we seen that the guys on the ground had scrambled the crash truck as they thought we were toast.

I had always heard that if you could see the runway over the nose on the 727, you could land on it. But I really would have taken their word on that one. I didn't need proof, honest!

Not one I will forget anytime soon. Those were fun times. But now I'm older and I hope a bit wiser, I wouldn't wanna do it again..

Last edited by Continuous Ignition; 25th Apr 2002 at 04:04.