PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Continental TurboProp crash inbound for Buffalo
Old 21st Feb 2009, 16:45
PJ2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Southernboy;
And so does the ring of kicking tin.
No it doesn't. A far less familiar sensation. Decry it all you like but there are sections of the industry where the problem is endemic. I've seen it & ex colleagues still report it.
I think there's a bit of a disconnect in our exchange. I suspect we're in strong agreement.

Both minimal training and fatigue issues have that "familiar ring" and, as you stated, nothing has been done regarding fatigue regulation, especially here in Canada where a three-pilot crew (captain, F/O, Relief Pilot - there are no requirements for a 4th pilot - that's negotiated at contract time) can legally remain on duty for 20hrs, (23 in "unforeseen circumstances). I've watched training on the 320/340 series for a very long time and while generally very good in places, it is spotty and there is very little focus on manual flight including manual thrust levers. The specific consequence is, there is a great reluctance to disconnect and actually fly an airplane like a 172, which the Airbus does, beautifully.

My "kicking tin" comment, perhaps clumsy, was an expression of "sad regret" that "here we are, still picking up pieces when it may possibly have been avoided", (we don't know that yet - it was a comment on accidents, not this accident). We've all seen the pattern but neither legislation nor corporate executive awareness of the importance of training, fatigue risk management and knowing what the organization's airplanes are doing on a daily basis through FOQA just to name three outstanding issues among a host of others, has changed.

We're fighting for the same cause.